We’re recruiting a CEO for Love Leeds Parks
We’re seeking an experienced and enthusiastic leader to take the charity forward into its next exciting phase.
To provide the strategic direction, day-to-day management and leadership of the Love Leeds Parks charity alongside the Board of Trustees. To develop & ensure delivery of our three workstreams: Consultation, Activation & Enterprise in pilot parks across Leeds. Ensure all governance and compliance regulations are abided to (including HR and finance) within charity and company law. To create and deliver the charity’s strategy, bringing its vision and mission to life while ensuring financial sustainability. To build sustainable relationships and methods of working that are innovative, replicable and shareable across the parks sector in Leeds and beyond.
• Salary: £40,000 FTE equivalent
• Hours: 21 hours a week (flexible days)
• Term: Permanent
• Reporting to: Chair of Board of Trustees
• Direct reports: Initially two members of staff plus sessional workers, with overall accountability for all staff members.
• Inclusive – we focus our efforts on community parks, especially areas with poor access to greenspace
• Innovative – we work quickly, often digitally, with the minimum of bureaucracy
• Volunteerism – we are all volunteers and champion voluntary effort in all its forms
• Partners – we partner well, focussing on joint outcomes with and for communities, adding value rather than duplicating effort
• Optimistic – we say yes rather than no, we aim to make things happen
• Enterprising – we look for opportunities for making and saving money
• Open – we’re transparent with our plans, and anyone in Leeds can ask what we’re doing and why
• Sustainable – we aim to be sustainable both ethically and financially.
- To manage the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of the charity, including designing and delivering operational plans with support from trustees
- Monitor performance against the strategy with relevant financial and impact reporting and keep Trustees apprised of progress to enable Trustees to make informed decisions
- Through a charter of Delegated Authority from the Board, be responsible for the charity’s overnance, policies and regulatory requirements (including HR, finance, health and safety, GDPR etc)
- Work alongside the Trustees to produce the charity’s Annual Report and provide financial analysis, including regular monitoring of income and expenditure against budget.
- Working with the Treasurer, ensure budgetary management and compliance with financial controls and procedures are in line with the expectations of the Board and within legal frameworks of company and charity law. Joint signatory and administrator of Love Leeds Parks’ bank account.
- Overall responsibility for recruiting, managing, and developing all staff; developing a strong organisational culture of prototyping and piloting new innovative ideas
- To be responsible for ‘park on a page’ outputs from community consultation and ensuring these are understood and used with community groups and the Parks and Countryside department of Leeds City Council
- To lead for Nature Connectedness throughout our three workstreams Consultation, Activation & Enterprise, and especially nature engagement
- To build monitoring and evaluation frameworks for our projects, produce an innovative impact report at the end of each project and work with our evaluators to produce meaningful evaluation of our projects, producing case studies, photos and quotes.
- Develop and manage effective relationships with key stakeholders at strategic and operational levels including companies, funders, trusts, the local authority, community groups, the press, media and other relevant, interested groups to enhance the strength and stability of the charity
- Supervise the delivery of the fundraising strategy, ensuring the charity achieves its fundraising potential and grows its unrestricted income.
- Oversee the development of a PR, marketing, communication, online & social media strategy, acting as spokesperson for the charity in response to media and press enquiries
- Manage any future charitable trading arm of the Charity enabling the development and growth of the company, and meeting profit targets, while still delivering our charitable objects
- Ensure all future projects meet our charitable objectives, are delivered on time and on budget, are promoted effectively, are monitored to assess the impact, and reported on to Trustees.
1. Good leadership, organisation and resource management
2. Creative problem solver, and entrepreneurial thinker.
3. The ability to work fast, take risks, make things happen in pilot parks working quickly and
informally with residents and communities
4. The ability to build strong relationships with new and existing partners in a fun, creative way
especially in ‘hard to reach’ areas with diverse communities
5. You must be 100% ambitious, enthusiastic and motivated about bringing more greenspace
to more communities across Leeds.
6. Ability to develop sustainable income streams in line with our fundraising strategy.
- Experience of working in a charity or social enterprise, managing staff, resources and budgets, mitigating risks, and reporting to regulators
- Experience of project management, highlight reporting for funders, and stakeholders on impact and progress
- Experience of producing reports on need and impact in place-based work
- Experience of coaching teams and facilitating participative workshops.
Key Relationships: The Love Leeds Parks staff and Trustees, Leeds City Council staff, Local Councillors, Residents and park users, potential Volunteers, Community groups, and corporates.
Job Requirements: Must be able to travel across Leeds using public or other forms of transport where they are viable, or by holding a valid UK driving licence with access to own car.
Some out of hours and weekend working will be required.
Location: Farnley Hall, Leeds Parks & Countryside, Hall Lane Farnley, Leeds, LS12 5HA, with some
Note: We are an organisation that recruits for attitude and can support enthusiastic, enterprising applicants with development programmes and support. You must be 100% ambitious, enthusiastic and motivated about bringing more greenspace to more communities across Leeds in whichever creative ways work!
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter, plus the contact details of 2 referees (including your current/most recent employer) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information email us at email@example.com or call us on 0113 3788158.
The deadline for applications: 04 November 2022