Family Fun Day in Golden Acre Park
We are hosting an exciting launch event on Saturday 4th September from 10am – 4.30pm, in Golden Acre Park.
We’ve recently become an independent charity, so we’re inviting the people of Leeds along to celebrate with us.
The launch will be a fun day with family activities taking place including:
- Free guided walks by Park Manager (at 11am and 2pm).
- Free scavenger hunts and bug hunts (at 10.30am, 12.30pm and 2.30pm) led by a Ranger.
- Name our duck mascot.
- Make your own duck mask activity for children.
- A wish tree; for you to tell us what you’d like to see in our parks (which will give us ideas for future fundraising, or endorse our ideas).
The main focus of the event is our “Give a Little Back” campaign, which aims to raise funding for our next Community Grants Programme to enhance public green spaces throughout the city. We have an ambitious goal to raise £25,000 by the end of the year.
In 2019 we gave out 13 grants of between £500 and £2,500, making a big difference to local green spaces and their visitors, including:
- The Conservation Volunteers – the Wild in the Winter project provided environmental education for children.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods – restored a heavily silted pond, including planting to increase biodiversity.
- Leeds Coppice Workers – strengthened river banks to reduce erosion, flood risk, and habitat loss.
- Boston Spa Parish Council – constructed wooden shelters to provide year-round protection from the weather.
That’s just some of what was achieved with £23,000 in 2019. If all 798,786 people who live in Leeds donated just £1 to our ‘Give a Little Back’ campaign, imagine what we could achieve with nearly £800,000.
As you know, parks and green spaces have been a lifeline for families throughout the pandemic, and continue to offer valuable outdoor space for people of all ages across our city.
We want to encourage people both at the event and online to ‘visit, enjoy and give a little back’ to parks and green spaces. Here’s our donation page.
We would love to see you at our event to enjoy the celebrations. Please feel free to invite your family and friends along too.
If you’re on social media please help us to promote the event and show your support for Love Leeds Parks by sharing our posts using #LoveLeedsParks. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @LoveLeedsParks.